Sunday, October 4, 2009

You and I Belong in the Same Time and Place


This post comes one day too late, but I think that it's appropriate that I am able to reflect on the events of the past two days before blogging about them. My sister was married yesterday, and I can't imagine a better way to spend time with a large number of people that I love. I held it together pretty well (no crying for this guy - at least, none that anybody saw), but can't be more proud to be a brother-in-law to my sister's soul mate. Seeing them together, seeing my parents having a great time, spending the evening with my lovely wife (we'll celebrate 5 years together in about two weeks)... can't think of anything better.

I had planned a wedding mix of songs for your enjoyment, but it came out as more of a love mix... I don't think that any of these songs are "traditional" love songs, but they all mean something very important to me. I hope you enjoy them, and check out the artists who perform them (if you aren't well-acclimated with their work already). A word on the last song - the live version of "Killer Parties" by The Hold Steady really rings true, and not just in the lyrics and the feel of the song, but in Craig Finn's comments leading into the tune... "There is so much joy in what we do here" - you can feel it in his voice... that's how I felt yesterday...

Robyn Hitchcock - "I Feel Beautiful"

Eels - "My Beloved Monster"

Rhett Miller - "Question"

The National - "Lucky You (Live from Daytrotter)"

Band of Horses - "No One's Gonna Love You"

Leonard Cohen - "Ain't No Cure For Love (Live)"

M. Ward - "Poison Cup"

The Jayhawks - "All the Right Reasons"

Camera Obscura - "The Sweetest Thing"

The Hold Steady - "Killer Parties"

Until next time, be well, love all, and listen...

No comments:

Post a Comment