Tuesday, July 20, 2010

If I Make It Through Today, I Know Tomorrow Not To Leave My Feelings Out On Display


Greetings Ideological Readers... Today's post has a somber, yet celebratory tone.  We here at the Cuddle found out that the Ideological Sister-In-Law was admitted to a local hospital for ongoing evaluation of of GI issues.  Our thoughts and best wishes are, of course, with her for a speedy recovery.  At the same time, we celebrated the 15th anniversary of the life-saving transplant that sustains me today.
Thinking about the anniversary of my transplant always reminds me of when I was diagnosed with renal disease in February of 1993.  At that time, as referenced in previous posts, Evan Dando's honey-drenched voice carried me through the roughest 2 weeks of my life.  During that time, laid up in a bed at the Women and Children's Hospital of Buffalo, I listened to The Lemonheads' It's A Shame About Ray seemingly one hundred times.  To this day, I can hear each of the tracks of that record top to bottom when I close my eyes.  Each of Dando's lyrics is gospel to me.  In retrospect, it's interesting that a musician with such a checkered history of drug use and ill health, should bring such hope to an infirmed 15 year old.
As time has passed, some have discounted The Lemonheads' standing in the pantheon of 90s indie pop, but I haven't, nor will I ever.  It's A Shame About Ray will always remind me of a time and place that I had no control over, nor did I understand.  Each of the album's 13 tracks (yes, I had the later pressing of the cassette that had "Mrs. Robinson" tacked on to sell more records) were and are pitch perfect.  Their brand of sunny rock was perfect then, as it's perfect now.  Their music fits well with today's events and with the recent Summer Mix themes of the Cuddle posts.  Below are just a few of the gorgeous tunes on the record, presented in live form from a show recorded at The Lemonhead's heyday in 1994.  I hope you enjoy them, and wish nothing but good health to all of you loyal readers out there...

The Lemonheads - Recorded Live in Concert - 3/20/1994 At Kiamesha Lake, NY
"Confetti"
"It's A Shame About Ray"
"Rockin' Stroll"
"Rudderless"

Until next time, give thanks to good health, family, and friends, get well Katie, and listen...

No comments:

Post a Comment