Sunday, August 1, 2010

I Can't Define Love When It's Not Love

Well readers, this little blog (which I thought that no one actually read) received some complaints over the past week regarding some of our posts.  We seem to have been nicked for posting some mp3 files from bands who don't appreciate that kind of thing.  In response, I'm trying to find a way to still provide those of you who faithfully read the posts in my corner of the universe with some music that I love.  My current storehouse of files doesn't have the capability to share streaming versions of the songs, so I'll be working on that soon.

In the meantime, I'd still like to share some music that I've had kicking around for a while.
The Talking Heads are the first band that I can remember worshipping.  I was well-known among family circles for doing a spot-on impression of David Byrne in the "Once In A Lifetime" video.  I have been known to break out that dance when the occasion is right and I have enough liquid courage surging through my veins.  The band's music mutated over the years - starting with the blueprint for classic NYC post-punk, morphing into MTV-friendly pop, and finally exploring world rhythms.  Their entire canon is excellent and their music doc Stop Making Sense is commonly regarded as the finest of the genre.
Here's a taste of 1979 Talking Heads, recorded live in Los Angeles:

"Stay Hungry"
"Love > Building on Fire"
"Psycho Killer"
"Life During Wartime"
"Take Me To The River"

Until next time, be careful what you listen to and where you find it (a hard lesson for those of us here, I guess), and listen to some Talking Heads...

No comments:

Post a Comment