Monday, October 25, 2010

The Dew On The Cobwebs Shines Like Gold


My love for everything Robyn Hitchcock is well known.  Autumn is the perfect time to take in his brand of off-kilter psych-folk-rock.  Last week saw the re-release of his classic Soft Boys records Underwater Moonlight and Can of Bees on Yep Rock (purchase them HERE and get 30 BONUS TRACKS) and it's easy to see, from a cursory listen to Underwater Moonlight, where the roots of Hitchcock's muse lies.  His skewed genius is in full effect with classics such as "Queen of Eyes", "I Wanna Destroy You", and "I Got the Hots". 
The tunes below are from The Soft Boy's reunion tour of 2001 :

"Kingdom of Love"
"Queen of Eyes"
"I Wanna Destroy You"

And some bonus Hitchcock - performing two of my favorite tunes (each kind of summing up my recent melancholic mood).  Despite Hitchcock's success with The Soft Boys, The Egyptians, and The Venus 3, he is best heard solo (his guitar skills are underrated and stellar) - here's a taste:

"My Wife and My Dead Wife"
"Autumn Is Your Last Chance"

Until next time, remember that "Autumn Is Your Last Chance" (because it very well might be), and listen...

No comments:

Post a Comment