Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Blessed Visionary Cut Me With Your Sun

I can't quite figure out why I love Mastodon so much.  I'm not really into metal, never have been, but a friend turned me on to Leviathan soon after its release and convinced me that I would fall in love with it.  He was right.  I haven't missed an album since (although I have missed them live in concert - they've been to the area twice in the past few years).  2009's Crack the Skye was another step forward for the band, whose sound is ever-evolving and pushing the limits of the "metal label".  Sooner or later, we're going to have to create a category for the band itself (and maybe include Baronness as well, but I digress).  Today's release of a track from the Crack the Skye sessions as part of Adult Swim's Singles Program pushes the envelope even further, but not in terms of sound.  "Deathbound" is typical Mastodon - expertly played metal that's full of furious drumming and hooks a-plenty - but the video is far from typical.  Think "Muppets on a bad acid trip with lots of fratricide".  Look for the quasi-Doozer battle, it's epic.
The free track can be downloaded from Adult Swim here.  Below is the video and it will blow your mind.  You've been warned :



Mastodon is said to be hard at work on their next masterpiece.  After Leviathan took on Melville's Moby Dick, Blood Mountain tackled sci-fi, and Crack the Skye retold the tale of Rasputin, maybe their next record will be a tribute to The Muppet Show.  I would love to see them tear through "Rainbow Connection".
Until next time, try not to let the "Deathbound" video give you nightmares, check out the pure, unadulterated fury that is Mastodon, and listen...

No comments:

Post a Comment